Here is a video of my speech
My name is Danil Faust, please respect my ignorance as I move through this quickly as possible. My name is Danil Faust and I have lived and here for 6 years. To you, these were headlines; to me the dead were family.
Jaren Lockhart, Ahmad Sheppard, Jasilas Wright, Brandon Robinson.
Jaren dismembered by her co-workers. Terry Speaks and Margaret Sanchez. Terry Speaks was a convicted rapist and my co-worker for over 2 months. Nobody was preventing his employed.
Ahmad was tortured and killed in a home invasion.
Jasilas was torn apart by oncoming traffic while trying to escape an abusive boyfriend/”pimp” is what everybody called him.
Brandon was shot in cold blood on Bourbon Street at Bayou Classic for stepping on some shoes. There were over 20,000 people on Bourbon, there were just 60 cops.
I can keep counting off my friends who have died of drugs or violence, but not one of them to prostitution.
But rather than claim responsibility, the City Council and Law Enforcement blame adult entertainment, citing the Covenant House Study that Operation Trick or Treat. I too will cite these items.
2. The number of respondents solicited for prostitution by a fellow Covenant House resident while they were staying at the Covenant House. They were solicited AT the Covenant House.
2. The number of indictments for pedophilia and bestiality against Christopher Young, lawyer for the National Beer League and close associate of the ATC. If you can’t regulate one of your own with these illnesses, how are we to determine who is ill among us?
2. The number of my friends trying to stop Brandon the day after Thanksgiving when he was shot on Bourbon Street. That man had a 4 day old daughter.
2. The number of respondents that danced under 18. If the laws didn’t work before, why are they going to work now?
1 out of 3. The number of respondents solicited for prostitution in the Vieux Carre area, including the Covenant House.
1 out of 3. The number of girls under 21 who will be turned away for employment, but yet solicited for prostitution on Bourbon Street itself. One out of three female tourists will be solicited for prostitution on Bourbon.
1 out of 4. The number of resp…
<They record 2 individuals ceding time to me>
All right, let’s go.
1 out of 4. The number of respondents who reported wage theft and unsafe working conditions.
38. The number of distinct individuals Chris Young forwarded child pornography to.
41. The number of respondents were showing signs of mental illness.
1. The number of mass shootings on Bourbon Street in the past 2 years.
One tourist dragged from the Quarter across the bridge with nobody noticing or stopping this.
1. The number of exotic dancers in the study were a victim for sex trafficking.
1. The number of smoking tickets that I have seen issued!
Adult Venues are not the problem, lack of effective and well thought out regulations and efficient enforcement. In the final report, attention is given to City Code 10-5, an adult nightclub permit, issued by the NOPD. Instead, 2 courses on the internet, which are essentially useless in the chaos of Bourbon during Mardi Gras. Please, fix this process. Review more closely the procedures. Provide health and counseling services. Items actually mentioned in the study, not the under 21 ban. The under 21 ban has pushed more girls into the Quarter where they can’t find immediate employment and cannot actually work for themselves.
<I stumble over words here>
Enhance police presence, create a police box on the street, get rid of one of the t-shirt shops for it, we don’t need 23. It is my opinion that if you followed these procedures outlined in 10-5, Terry Speaks would have never been employed and Jaren would still be alive today. If you actually WORKED with US and train the people on the street, WE can stop this. But instead you don’t ask us, you legislate and then do NOTHING about it.
I think more research should be done on Ms. Palmer-Gisleson’s curfew.
Police Superintendant Ronal Serpas has noted that much of the crime is under 21 individuals who have no venue to go to. Instead they stay out on the street, get drunk all night and attack…
That’s your time.